template

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Counting my blessings

I went back to working this week. Whew, hard. Brett is transitioning into a new job and doing some stuff on the side so I have literally only seen him for about an hour and a half all week. Plus he can't talk on the phone at all at either job, so I don't get my daily chat/vent/catch up that I am used to. I am sort of stuck at home, because taking a newborn out is unwise, and who has the energy? Needless to say, this has been a challenge for me, the perfectionist, efficiency master. What normally takes me an hour is taking me three. My home, which is far from perfect normally, is looking worse for the wear, and my poor children, other than CC are probably feeling slightly neglected. And my work, well I need to adjust my productivity expectations.

Yesterday was tough. Really tough. I tried to work ALL day. Every time the baby fell asleep Derrick needed something, or some crisis needed to be managed. My car broke down (I had just had the radiator replaced,  and while it was fixed properly, not enough coolant was put in, so it overheated) on my way to get my kids from school, and I was stuck in a freezing cold car with Derrick and CC for an hour, until a good friend came and fixed it. Lexi missed piano lessons, and I lost an hour of time I just didn't have. My kids didn't like the dinner I fixed, Dillan had a meltdown, I never made it to the store, so I had no fresh food in my house, and I felt exhausted. I really felt like I couldn't take five minutes for myself, and I needed some "me" time, but CC was screaming, Dillan was crying, Derrick was desperately seeking attention, and Lexi was off making messes. Let's just say it was not a super mom day.

This morning I tried to start fresh. Brett woke me up in time for family scriptures, then he was out the door with the kids, and off to work for the day. I did some picking up, took care of baby, grabbed a shower, and got Derrick out the door for preschool. I needed to run to the bank, so I did that, and then decided I would take CC over to see her Nana, who just had a surgery and is not too mobile. I grabbed my laptop as I was running out the door, hoping to maybe take advantage of having my hands free to get some writing done.

It was wonderful. Nana and Pop held the baby, I wrote more articles in an hour and a half than the entire day before. My Father-in-law was heading to the grocery store, so he offered to do my shopping, so I gave him some money, and was able to check that off my list. I got home and there was a lovely gift from someone I do not know well for the baby hanging from the door knob. Derrick was happy to play in his room so I got a quick nap in, then Brett was off in time to get the kids from school so I did not have to take the baby out in the cold. I started thinking about dinner and realized a sweet neighbor had given me a freezer meal, so I pulled it out to defrost. I wanted a treat, and found a key lime cheesecake we had ordered from someone for a school fundraiser. My kids ate well, they played together nicely, did their homework, and I got some fun time in with baby and Derrick. What a blessed day.

While adjusting to the slower paced life of having an infant, I can honestly say I am feeling very blessed, if a little stressed. We have been so blessed to have such generous friends, neighbors, and family members. The ward brought us dinner after the baby, and then several neighbors and friends also offered, which has really lightened the load for me. Many friends and family members have called to see if we need anything before they run to the store, which makes life much easier for me, as dragging a little one out in the cold is not ideal. We have been overwhelmed by the many thoughtful gifts, cards, and gestures from friends and family, but also from people we do not know well. Even though it is December, and money seems to be tight for many, people have gone out of their way to share in our joy and happiness at having this sweet newborn. You know you are blessed when your hand cramps up after writing out the many thank you cards for gifts, support, and love!

So despite a fairly challenging week thus far, I am counting my blessings tonight and feeling grateful, messy house, and incomplete work and all. And the five blessings I am most grateful for, Brett, Dillan, Alexis, Derrick, and Cydney!

No comments: