template

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My gratitude check!

Okay so this week is obviously Thanksgiving, and so the "thankful for's" are abounding, but today I had a gratitude check and felt like I should put it on here.

My day sucked. I spent the whole day in the car driving around, running errands, none of which seemed to get done. For example, I stopped at a store I needed something from, and they were not open. I went to return something, and had the wrong receipt. I went up to the Gateway to the Apple store to get an iPod fixed, and did not realize I needed to make an appointment first. It was a long, crappy day with whining kids, and messes that needed cleaning, and work that needed doing. None of which got taken care of.

I was in "Pity me" mode. I was ornery with my kids, my mom (who watched my kids last week while I was on vacation, yeah, what is my problem?) and just about everyone but Brett. I probably spent the better part of my day moping around about what a bad day I had. But guess what? I realized something... Sure I have a lot to do, but it is because I spent my entire last week out having fun with my husband on vacation while my friends and family helped me by taking care of my kids, etc. I am very blessed.

So sure...

My house needs cleaning, but at least I have one. This week my good friend had to move out quickly because of a problem with the construction on their house. So, hey, at least I am not trying to move my family right now. And there is stuff everywhere, but it is because I am still unpacking and getting back into real life mode.

My work is not done, but I have a job. I get overwhelmed and frustrated. I get upset when people borrow money and don't repay it, or want stuff from me when they are capable of getting things for themselves, etc. I get ornery when the work piles up, or I can't seem to find time to sit down and focus on my writing. But you know what? At least I have money to lend, I have income that pays the bills, I have friends who feel comfortable asking me for help when they are in need. I am doing something I love, and getting paid for it.

My kids were whining at me, but that is normal, and I am so blessed to have three beautiful children, who are healthy, smart, loving, and wonderful. Sure I get irritated with them, but would I really trade them? No.

I realized that I do have a lot on my plate, and I am juggling a lot of responsibilities that add to my stress levels, but they are all good things. I am a mom. I am a wife. I am trying to plan fun things, that I am privileged to be in a financial position, and have the kind of employment that allows me to do them. I have great parents who are generous with what they have. I have great in-laws who are always willing to help, and do what they can for us.

The point of my rambling: Life sucks sometimes, but I really do have it good. I am not struggling to keep my house or put food on the table. I am not in jeopardy of losing my job if I get a little behind. God loves me and has blessed me with an amazing family, generous friends, and a great life. So when my writers turn work in late, or someone in my family gets on my nerves, or the kids won't let me have more than a moment of peace, or I just want to give up, I am going to smile, and remember all that I have to be grateful for. At least until tomorrow anyway!

No comments: