template

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Brett's Surgery Update

Brett had his surgery on the 28th. We got to the hospital at 8:15, and waited in the lobby for a few minutes until they brought him back to the surgery prep room. They inserted his IV, shaved his leg, and had about a million people come in to tell him about the various procedures they would be doing, what the risks were, and what to expect. They were very informative, and we really appreciated that.

After a while they took Brett back for surgery. I was sent to the lobby to wait, and was told the doctor (Dr. Aoki), would come and talk to me when Brett was done.

In order to help him with his pain they gave him a nerve block, as well as other anesthesia.

The surgery went well. They basically did a hair plug, but with knee cartilage. So, they made a hole for the cartilage to go in. They drilled out some cartilage from another part of his knee, and inserted it.

After about 1.5 hours of sitting in the lobby the doctor came out and told me the surgery went well, and gave me some pictures, told me what happened, and gave me information about post op. About 3 hours after that a nurse came out. She explained that it took so long because Brett did not want to wake up from his anesthesia. She gave me a prescription, I went and filled it, and then came back and a half hour later we were able to leave.

Brett did great! He was pretty coherent and his pain was pretty decent.

Now we are home, he is resting in order to recover, and I am diligently trying to keep kids off his leg, and make sure he does his leg exercises, and takes his pain medication on time.

Thanks for all the concern! We will keep you updated.

No comments: