template

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Grandma Clawson update

My sweet Grandma passed away today. She had a hard but wonderful life. She lived longer than two children, which breaks my heart. I can't imagine losing one of my kids, especially as a baby. She raised a large family, cut coupons, made things from scratch, and worked hard to make the grandkids always feel special and welcome. She had diabetes, and struggles with health. And while I know and will remember these things about her, the thing I will remember most is how much fun she was. I shared some memories earlier, but want to share just a few more.

Lexi took a while to get teeth, and Grandma used to joke that she would leave her dentures to Lexi in her will.

Dillan visited Grandma once and she did not have her dentures in, Dillan asked her if it was because she did not brush and floss as a kid. She said yes.

Grandma always plied the grandkids and great grandkids with goodies, and yummy foods. She would cut coupons for treats just so she would have them on hand for the kids. I always loved sitting by her in church because she had Bit O Honey in her purse, and to this day it is a favorite candy of mine.

She loved sports, and if you wanted to get in a heated conversation with her, you just had to bring up the Jazz, Cougars, or Politics.

I can't write more right now, so I am just going to share a few photos from last night, and say that I love her, and admire so much about her.
 Grandma meeting baby CC. She woke up to see her, and was so sweet.
 My Grandpa, an amazing man, who works hard, and although rarely shows much emotion, was strong, sweet, loving, and so tender with my Grandma. You could feel the love he had for her like it was a tactile thing. He spoke softly, caressed her hands, checked on her comfort, gave her tender kisses and displayed affection I have never seen before. It was amazing to see so much shared love after so many years. She continuously reminded us not to forget Grandpa and to make sure we take care of him when she can't. I am so proud to be part of that love even in a small way.
A four generations picture. CC at 2 days old, and Grandma on her last day. Life and death, so very hard to see it in such a clear contrast. It made it easier to have such a sweet baby to love on when I started getting super sad.


No comments: