template

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Delicious dinner...

 
This is delicious Flank steak, and twice baked potatoes. Both freezer meal items that we love. I usually reserve this meal for Sunday dinners, but I made a mistake this morning, and needed something really tasty tonight.

Okay, here is my mistake story: I got my bountiful basket this morning, and wanted a big healthy breakfast full of fresh veggies. I diced up potatoes, green bell peppers, carrots, and a few other veggies, cooked them up in my new birthday omelet pan, and yum, they looked so good. I threw in some diced ham for protein. Topped with fresh diced tomato. The kitchen smelled great, and they looked fabulous. Usually when I make this type of meal (hash), I use some hot sauce or ketchup depending on my mood on the side for a little extra flavor. I opened the fridge and my Sarachi caught my eye. Yum, I love Sarachi. But it is HOT. Without thinking, I squirted a bunch over the top of my bowl of hash, and then settled in to eat it. It was yummy, but uh, yeah, I forgot the HORRIBLE heart burn I get when I am pregnant and eat anything with too much kick. I paid for that breakfast all day. Tums did not touch it. So I basically avoided food all day, and wanted comfort food tonight! lol

We had this with a big green salad with lots of cucumber, carrots, radish, etc. And my favorite, Italian Dressing. It was very satisfying, and extremely flavorful.

The flank steak is one of my faves because it is easy, and tastes fancy. I made up this rub to use on it, in an attempt to copy a rub I liked. It is a little spicy, so adjust according to your taste. Basically, use the oil to coat the outside, put your rub on, marinate for 30 minutes in fridge. Then broil for 6-9 mins per side based on how done you like it. Let it sit for 5 mins, then slice against the grain and serve. 

Flank steak rub
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you do not like spice, cut back here)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dry oregano
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 25 grinds fresh black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil- to help the rub stay on the steak!

No comments: