template

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Miss Lexi Mishaps

Lexi hurt herself at school on Thursday. She fell off the monkey bars. She told me it hurt, and I told her we would give it a day, and see if it still hurt. She woke up crying that night so we gave her some chidlren's tylenol and she went back to bed. The next morning I asked how her arm felt. She replied that it was fine, no pain. She went to school, etc. When I picked her up, again I asked how it was, and she was happy to report it felt fine. Unfortunately that night, she woke up again crying and complaining her arm hurt. Since it was the middle of the night, and I am not a fan of ER visit costs, I gave her some medicine and told her we would go in the morning. The next morning (Saturday), she said it did not hurt, and she was fine. She played all day and had no complaints. Last night though, for the third night she woke up and crying. It was about 10:30 and most of the instacares or urgent cares in the area close between 9 and 10. So again we decided to wait. Only this time it was slightly swollen. We gave her tylenol again, and wrapped it up with an ice pack. Then had her go back to sleep. 
This morning this woke up happy, and said it didn't hurt, but was favoring it and not doing anything with it. Since I am not fond of these middle of the night wake-ups, we decided to just take her in to be sure it was okay. I had ward council, so I couldn't go, so Brett took her, and Wendi came over to watch the boys, while I was at my meeting. 
The verdict: She had an x-ray (pictured below), and it is NOT broken. It is however sprained. And while she does not necessarily need a splint, the Dr. splinted it in order to help stabilize it and so she would protect it. Often if it is not broken, kids will play on it hard and aggravate it (which is what she had been doing). So he put a hard splint on, and wrapped it, and said she needs to keep it on for three or four days. She is really hating it, as it sort of scratches her arm. and she has picked at it some, so it is not as cleanly wrapped as before. 
We are going to play at CornBelly's tomorrow, so I told her she has to keep it on until at least Tuesday so she does not hurt it further tomorrow. Apparently it takes just as long for a sprain to heal as a break, and sometimes hurts even worse. Here's hoping she heals quickly. She is not a happy camper when she is in pain. Not that many of us are.

She has been pretty funny about it. She does not want anyone to know what happened because she "will be too embarrassed." She is milking it for all it is worth, asking the boys to do stuff for her, hold stuff for her, etc. She even tried to get the last dessert by saying, "I'm the one with a sprain." haha it backfired when her dad pointed out that this means her arm cost us $100, so maybe her brothers should get the last dessert. lol

That brings me to something else. Although I am not thrilled this happened, I am extremely grateful today. I am grateful my daughter is alright. I am grateful for a husband who would take her in to deal with this while I served in my church calling. I am grateful to extended family for their help and support.  I am grateful we have access to things like Urgent Care, which is far more cost effective than an ER visit. I am so grateful for technology and qualified doctors. And I am grateful that Brett and I have been putting money aside each month into a specific account for medical expenses and emergencies. We never would have guessed Lexi would be our most costly medical emergency child to date, (this is her 3rd visit) but hey, at least we have the funds to cover it, and can feel grateful she is okay, rather than stressed about the expense.


No comments: