template

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Freezer meal marathon day

Wow, today was crazy. Brett and I have been wanting to cut back costs everywhere, and one of those areas is groceries. If we aren't careful, we spend WAY TOO MUCH $ on groceries. One of the things that has really helped us is doing feezer meals. I have been having tons of fun looking for yummy looking recipes that could potentially be freezer friendly. I have tried a variety of options: crockpot freezer meals (the kind you prepare to just throw in the crockpot), bake meals (the kind you pull out of the freezer then stick in the oven and bake), and bag meals (Where everything is cut and ready, but you still have to make it). We like the bag meals the best. They taste the best. Today, I got up, went grocery shopping, made what felt like a million meals, and cleaned up all of it. I started preparing about 11:30, and finished about 9:00 pm. Long day. But here is my success story:

All of these are 4-6 servings:

Orange chicken- I made 5 bag dinners of this because it is a family favorite.
Mongolian beef- I made 4 bag dinners of this.
Shredded beef sliders- I made 6 of these.
Fried rice- I made 6 of these.
Egg rolls- I made 2 of these.
Meatballs- I made 3 of these
Lasagna roll-ups- I made 3 of these.
Lasagna pockets- I made 2 of these
Ham and cheese pockets- I made 2 of these.
Pork chops (for 2, Brett hates pork chops)- 2 of these

35 total meals for 3-6 people - Some of which are going to my sister since she is having a baby soon.


Plus I made some for my uncle that I knew he would like: 1 bag of pork chops, 2 beef sliders, 1 orange chicken, 1 mongolian beef, 2 fried rice, 1 egg roll meal, 1 lasagna roll up, 1 lasagna pocket, 1 ham and cheese pocket, 1 chicken enchiladas, 1 teriyaki chicken,  1mini pizzas, 1 fajitas, 1 goulash, 6 beef and provolone sandwiches, 6 twice baked potatoes, 4 breakfast sandwiches.

About 20 total meals with servings for 2-3


I also half prepared a few others, but ran out of time and ingredients, and freezer bags (I couldn't believe it since I had over 60 quart size bags, and about the same in gallon) so I am finishing them up in the morning.
Bang bang chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Pizza pockets
Broccoli ham alfredo
Beef and veggie pockets

After a super long day of preparing meals, cooking, cleaning, etc. Derrick was begging me for banana bread. Since I had several very ripe bananas, I figured, "Why not? I mean I have already been cooking all day, what is one more thing?" So I made a batch of banana bread. Yum!

It may have taken all day long, but this means I have dinner ready to go for a whole month. No thought, no shopping, no worries. Just add my fresh produce and I am good to go. I couldn't be more thrilled. Plus, my amazing husband brought me home some food, and ate what I made for dinner. So, I didn't even have to eat the food I had been looking at all day.

I will be posting the recipes, bag instructions, and reviews soon.

No comments: