template

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

School Days

My how the summer goes fast. 
In some ways I am exceedingly grateful, in others a little sad. This is how the first day of school always goes for me. There is the trepidation and anxiety of not knowing if the people we entrust our children to will care for them with the love and consideration we would like. But there is also the joy of having a few hours peace, where we know our kids are off learning and socializing. I love that I can clean my house without messes turning up around every corner. I love that I don't have to referee arguments for a few hours, or even worry about making lunch. 

I do however stress, What if they don't have friends? What if they feel behind? What if they don't behave the way I have taught them? What if their teachers don't like them? What if they get bullied? Or worse, what if they are a bully? I try to tamp down these fears, and just have faith that my kids are resilient, so even if the first day of school stinks, they will manage. Then I trust in the Lord to watch over and protect them. 


 
We had a great morning, the kids were excited to get their new school clothes on, Dillan in particular was fairly picky about what he would wear this year. Apparently all the kids wear these graphic t's, and basketball shorts. No polos and chinos for him. Lexi was a little more flexible, she liked what I picked, and was just happy not to wear a uniform. The kids got a father's blessing, and we read scriptures, had a family prayer, told Dillan to watch out for sister, and then sent them on their way. 

When I picked the kids up, they were all smiles! I was so grateful! We started homework right after school, and I already got take home volunteer stuff to do (put all the book orders together for the end of the week). It was a great day. Productive all around.

Brett and I have established a great for us routine. He wakes up with the kids and has them get dressed. I set out their clothes, down to the underwear and socks the night before so that it is easy. Then he does Dillan's hair and wakes me up so I can do Lexi's. We then spend a few minutes as a family, the kids then brush their teeth, grab their backpacks, and we usher the kids out the door. Brett has been driving them, and I have been hanging out with Derrick. Dillan and Lex have opted to eat breakfast at school this week, which works for me. Less work, less mess, and they LOVE it.

I hope the rest of the school year goes as well as yesterday and this morning.
Dillan loves Batman!

He had to wake up so he could say bye! But boy was he sleepy

Happy smile! So excited for day #2

Out the door, Daddy driving!

Growing up so fast!

1 comment:

Jennica said...

I'm commenting because I just saw your note to Juli :) I read your blog when you post to FB! I've tried to leave comments before but got frustrated because it wouldn't let me change Gmail accounts. Glad someone else stresses about the social aspects of school! I get so afraid for their feelings getting hurt - worse than anything! Let's play soon!