template

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Freezer meal review: Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken



Okay here is my review: YUM!

My kids loved it, the husband loved it, and I loved it. I followed the posted instructions. I made a few tweaks because I always do. What I did was I seasoned the flour first with some salt and pepper, patted the chicken dry, then dredged it. Then I put a TBS of oil in the skillet and cooked it 3 mins on each side with a lid on. Then I removed it from the pan. Added bag one. Then about a minute later added bag two. It seemed a little runny so I added half a tsp of corn starch, but then after I added the chicken I realized I probably did not need to. So I brought it to the boil, which took about 30 seconds, added my chicken back in, covered it for a couple minutes, then flipped all the pieces so it would be evenly coated, and then took it off the heat. I let it stand about two minutes, then served it with rice and broccoli.

It thickened up nicely. The flavor was good. Maybe a little spicy if you don't like a kick, but you can always reduce the red pepper flakes a little if you do not want spice. It was not Panda Express flavor, but definately orange chicken, and really very yummy. My kids ate every bite!

What I would do differently:
1. For the recipe I only used three chicken breasts, and the full sauce, but I would maybe even do 1.5 times the sauce for the 3 breasts because I wanted extra for the rice, and there wasn't much.
2. Make more. I was really careful about portioning so we would not have any waste, as my family is not big on leftovers, but since Dad was home (He usually does not eat dinner with us), it seemed like we had enough, but not enough for seconds. We had just spent a couple hours at the pool, and the kids were pretty hungry, so on an average night, where they snack between meals, it probably would have been plenty.

1 comment:

JuLi said...

So I didn't end up making this the night of our anniversary cuz we went out (DISASTER! we took our kids...). I should've made it! I can't wait to try it! I get to do Grocery Shopping on THrusday and this will definitely be on the menu a couple times in the next couple weeks... Thanks Rach!!!